Friday, January 4, 2013







An Introduction:


Welcome to "99 Writing Books: A writer's reading odyssey"--a blog about my reading 99 books related to the craft of writing while pursuing a renewed writing career publishing in fiction and non-fiction markets.

My name is Tim and I am a published writer; I have written a wide range of articles for newspapers, magazines and the Internet.

However, during the past few years, I "somehow" wound up changing writing tracks and went from freelancing for newspapers and magazines to owning and operating a copywriting business that catered to the writing needs of businesses. Yes, I was a card-carrying Chamber of Commerce member complete with monthly luncheons, business networking groups, and enough cup-of-coffee meetings with potential clients to make Panera Bread's stock go up.

Blame it on the economy, blame it on business clients with the morals of a Timeshare Salesman, blame it on my last client who I discovered was sending me plagarized copy to copyedit for his business--but, to put it simply, I've just had enough of IT and realized that my writing life was slipping away from me.

Today, I will no longer be pursuing business copywriting projects. Rather, I am returning to the type of writing I love best: stories about life and science--fictional and real.

Why "99 Books"? Because that is what I have on a shelf in my study. Ninety-nine books, all related to the craft of writing in one way or another that I have amassed over the years. Most were bought new, some were bought used and the rest are borrowed--which I promise I will return someday. But don't hold your breath--I am a bad book borrower.

I chose "99 Books" because of an article I recently read where a well-known author pooh-poohed the usefulness of books that teach writing. I was taken aback by this because I have quite a few books that teach writing and I treasure them all--as well as covet the ones I borrow. They are friends with sage advice and encouragement who tell me that I can do this and here is how. They are guideposts when I find myself lost in the tangled lines and amorphous paragraphs of a first, second and third draft. They are reminders of the basics. I believe the author is wrong and I want to prove it--if for anyone, at least for myself.

So, here's the plan. I have 99 books on my shelf that I have never fully read from cover to cover. Typically (and this is a bad thing I am told), I am one of those readers who tends to pick only a few pages or chapters here and there that are needed immediately with the good intentions of returning to the book later for a more thorough read--but doesn't. My odyssey is to read each of these books from cover to cover while writing short stories, a novel and endless queries for publication in magazines. I will post a review of each book regarding whether I found it useful, and if so--how. The review will include key points learned and how it applies to my writing education and re-education.

In addition, because I am wanting to apply my learned lessons toward fictional writing in the genres of Science Fiction & Fantasy, I will be including reviews of SciFi & Fantasy short stories spanning the past 50 years that I will read in addition to the aforementioned 99 books.

Until then,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment